Charter schools are publicly funded, privately managed and semi-autonomous schools of choice. In exchange for this autonomy, they are held to a high level of accountability by their authorizer.
2021 NEW CHARTER SCHOOL APPLICATION
On January 19, 2021, BESE approved the 2021 Common Charter Application. Applicant groups shall choose to be considered by submitting one of three applications based on requirements set forth:
- Nonprofit organization whose primary members (founder and/or proposed school leader) do not have prior experience in leading or managing a public school; and
- Who do not intend to employ an educational service provider (ESP) with prior experience in leading or managing public schools.
- Nonprofit organizations whose primary members (founder and/or proposed school leader) have prior experience in leading or managing a single public school; and/or
- Nonprofit organizations which have operated more than one charter school; and/or
- Nonprofit organizations which intend to employ an education service provider (ESP) which has operated more than one charter school.
- Nonprofit organizations that seek to operate a public school facility aligned to the definition of a Virtual School as outlined in BESE Bulletin 126.
In addition to the charter application narratives aligned to one of the applications above, each applicant group must complete and submit this Overview Template along with the rest of the group's application materials. Evaluation rubric and standards will be available on February 5.
KEY DATES FOR DISTRICT AUTHORIZERS
- January 29: Deadline by which local school boards must post application materials to their websites. The LDOE has created this template for districts to use when posting application materials. Use of the template is optional.
- Friday, April 5: Charter applications are due to districts.
- Friday, July 16: Deadline for districts to consider charter applications. If a district has not made a decision about a charter application by this point, that applicant group is eligible to appeal to BESE.
Find the application below